Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sophie Thompson's 6 best books

Sophie Thompson (sister of Emma Thompson) appears in the forthcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; she plays Mafalda Hopkirk, a witch who works in the Improper Use of Magic Office at the Ministry of Magic.

For the Scottish Sunday Express, she named her six best books. One title on the list:
THE CATCHER IN THE RYE
by JD Salinger

I was still at school when I read this. I can remember sitting on a wall, in a little puddle of sun, after getting the number 28 bus home, crying as I slowly turned the last few pages. I was completely in love with the central character and genuinely bereft that he was no longer in my life.
Read about the other books on Thompson's list.

The Catcher In The Rye appears on Dan Rhodes' top ten list of short books and Sarah Ebner's top 25 list of boarding school books. Upon rereading, the novel disappointed Khaled Hosseini, Mary Gordon, and Laura Lippman.

--Marshal Zeringue