Thursday, March 19, 2015

Top ten war memoirs

One of Andrew Sharples' top ten war memoirs, as shared at the Guardian:
Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab

Bravo Two Zero was probably the first war memoir I ever read and my introduction to the world of special forces. I devoured it in a single sitting, captivated by the sheer toughness of these SAS men who seemed then, as they do now, positively superhuman. It made me feel I was there, right in the middle of a desperate firefight and then, later, caged in a dank prison cell, waiting to be tortured. The story is brutal but as a teenager, I wanted nothing more than to be tested in the same way as McNab and his comrades.
Read about the other entries on the list.

Also see: Anthony Swofford's five best list of books about war by authors who served.

--Marshal Zeringue