Saturday, March 26, 2016

Five books that shaped Jason Gurley's "Eleanor"

Jason Gurley is the author of the novels Greatfall, The Man Who Ended the World, and the ongoing Movement series. His bestselling self-published novel Eleanor was acquired by Crown Publishing in the U.S., HarperCollins in the U.K., Editora Rocco in Brazil, Arunas in Turkey, and Heyne Verlag in Germany. His short fiction has appeared in Lightspeed Magazine and numerous anthologies, among them Loosed Upon the World and Help Fund My Robot Army!!! from editor John Joseph Adams. Gurley lives and writes in Oregon.

One of five books that shaped him and Eleanor, as shared at the Harper Voyager blog:
Contact, by Carl Sagan

Perhaps it’s an unlikely influence, but without Contact, Eleanor wouldn’t have existed at all. The novel’s flawed, intelligent heroine, Eleanor Arroway, not only gave me the name of my protagonist, but Sagan’s gentle skepticism prompted me to ask questions of my own life which became the root of my early drafts.
Read about the other entries on the list.

Eleanor Arroway from Contact is among io9's ten greatest (fictional) female scientists.

The Page 69 Test: Eleanor.

My Book, The Movie: Eleanor.

Writers Read: Jason Gurley.

--Marshal Zeringue