Sunday, March 17, 2019

Four books that changed Fiona McCallum

Fiona McCallum was raised on a farm in South Australia. She now lives in suburban Adelaide, but remains a country girl at heart. McCallum writes "heart-warming journey of self-discovery stories" that draw on her life experiences, love of animals and fascination with the human condition. She is the author of ten Australian bestsellers. A Life of Her Own will be her eleventh novel.

One of four books that changed the author, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
THE GLASS LAKE
Maeve Binchy

A now-ex-partner's grandmother gave me a battered third-hand copy of The Glass Lake in the early 2000s when I was embarking on writing my first full-length fiction. I was instantly hooked. Having spent the first 25 years of my life in a small South Australian rural community, Maeve Binchy's brilliant depictions of small-town life and beautifully drawn, realistic characters struck an instant chord and had a profound and lasting impact on my own writing and storytelling.
Read about the other entries on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue