Friday, March 29, 2013

Top ten teen twin books

Penelope Bush is the author of Alice in Time, Diary of a Lottery Winner's Daughter, and, more recently, Me, Myself, Milly, which explores the dynamic between two identical twin sisters.

One of her top ten teen twin books, as told to the Guardian:
Tintin and The Castafiore Emerald by Herge

I'm allowed to slip this one in, or any Tintin book for that matter, because of the presence of the inimitable Thompson Twins. That is, if identical twins can be described as inimitable. The truth is that between the ages of 12 and 14 I didn't really feel like reading novels but I could never get enough of cartoon books. I would scour jumble sales and second hand book shops to find anything with stories told in pictures. We didn't have Manga in those days. So don't pooh-pooh the humble comic book, I still believe that the absorption of such things at a tender age furnished me with an appreciation of good stories, lively dialogue and humour.
Read about the other entries on the list.

The Castafiore Emerald is one of Sally Gardner's top ten books for children with dyslexia and Rachel Cooke's ten best graphic novels.

--Marshal Zeringue