Sunday, September 13, 2015

Four books that changed Daniel Herborn

Daniel Herborn is a writer and lawyer who lives in Sydney, Australia. His first novel for young adults is You're the Kind of Girl I Write Songs About.

One of four books that changed Herborn, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
LOOKING FOR ALIBRANDI
Melina Marchetta

Along with Nick Earls' After January and Laura Buzo's Good Oil this got me interested in writing something for young adults, something that would hopefully feel approachable, real and relatable like this, as though the action in the book could be happening down the street from you. I found the local setting and the fact it named specific places – Glebe, Parramatta Road, really exciting and it inspired me to have that specificity and sense of place in my own book.
Read about the other books on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue