Friday, June 16, 2017

Five books about futuristic California

Laura Lam's latest novel is Shattered Minds. One of the author's five favorite books about futuristic California, as shared at Tor.com:
Virtual Light by William Gibson

This is my favourite Gibson. The Bay Bridge is where lots of people live in this cyberpunk future, and I crossed that bridge every time I went into the city (unless I took BART). I also love how it’s hinged on a fairly basic plot: everyone wants those cool futuristic sunglasses that could rebuild ruined San Francisco. Chevette is allergic to brands and labels and rips them off her clothes. It’s set in 2006, or the year I graduated high school, so 11 years on, it’s an interesting alternate history of a futuristic world. The middle class is gone and corporations are running amok, as they tend to do in cyberpunk.
Read about the other entries on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue