Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Eleven top books on writing

At The Barnes & Noble Book Blog Kathryn Williams came up with a list of eleven top books on writing. One book she tagged:
Reading Like a Writer, by Francine Prose

I am a slow reader. As a writer, that seems like a liability. I can’t breeze through bookshelves like some of my colleagues. But here’s why: I read like a writer. That means I read each sentence, each word, and always, in the back of my mind, I’m wondering how and why the author did it this way. I’m like a contractor looking for studs. In this “Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them,” Prose (oh, to be born with that destiny) teaches readers and writers how to slow down and pay attention, because we learn to write by reading.
Read about the other books on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue