Friday, February 2, 2018

Four books that changed Katrina Lawrence

Katrina Lawrence, one of Australia's most awarded beauty writers, is the author of Paris Dreaming. One of four books that changed her, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
BONJOUR TRISTESSE
Françoise Sagan

I was your typical petulant teenage girl when I discovered this novel, but also naive and awkward, so I found the precocious, world-weary tone of 17-year-old Cecile absolutely enthralling at first. I swooned over her glamorous Parisian life and social freedom, believing it the definition of joy. I had interpreted the stability of my suburban life as boredom, and it took a book about "sadness" to teach me that I was already perfectly happy.
Learn about the other books on the list.

Bonjour Tristesse is among Alex Christofi's ten top books on postwar France and Helena Frith Powell's five notable books on glamour.

--Marshal Zeringue