Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Top ten books for children with dyslexia

Severely dyslexic Sally Gardner couldn't read until she was 14. "A book without any illustration was as good as useless," the award-winning author writes in the Guardian: "My fantasy as a child hungry for stories was that I had a kind actor living in my wardrobe whom I could take out when I needed reading to."

One of Gardner's top ten books for children with dyslexia, as told to the Guardian:
Tintin: The Castafiore Emerald by Hergé

When I was little, I just loved these drawings more than the stories - the colours, the fine detail. Although some of the "adventures" were fairly unPC to say the least. I couldn't read the words, so I used to make up my own theatrical tales to go with them.
Read about the other entries on the list.

The Castafiore Emerald is one of Rachel Cooke's ten best graphic novels.

--Marshal Zeringue