Monday, September 8, 2014

Four books that changed Justine Larbalestier

Justine Larbalestier is an Australian-American writer. Her novels include Razorhurst, Liar, How to Ditch Your Fairy, and the Magic or Madness trilogy.

One of four books that changed her, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories
Angela Carter

When I was little I made up my own fairy tales, and the ghostly echo of "Once upon a time" shapes all the fiction I've ever written. But it wasn't until I read this explosion of a collection that I realised how much could be done to fairy tales, and how much they could do to me. Carter taught me the anatomy of the fairy tale and how to make use of the viscera.
Read about the other books on the list.

The Bloody Chamber is among Stephanie Feldman's ten creepiest books and Jonathan Stroud's favorite fantasy books.

--Marshal Zeringue