Thursday, May 23, 2019

Top ten books about angry women

Katie Lowe is a writer living in Worcester, UK, whose debut novel The Furies is set to be published by Harperfiction (UK), St Martin's Press (US) and eight other territories worldwide.

A graduate of the University of Birmingham, Lowe has a BA(Hons) in English and an MPhil in Literature & Modernity. She is set to return to Birmingham in 2019 to complete a PhD in English Literature, with her thesis on female rage in literary modernism and the #MeToo era.

At the Guardian Lowe tagged ten favorite books about angry women, including:
Carrie by Stephen King

When I was 12, I stole a tattered copy of Carrie from my parents’ bookshelves, and stayed up all night reading it. It was the first adult novel I’d read, and my first foray into horror – and I was immediately hooked. No surprise, then, that my first novel is about teenage girls and revenge – the unpopular, horribly bullied Carrie using her powers to take hers is a scene that’s stayed with me, ever since.
Read about the other entries on the list.

Carrie is on Jo Jakeman's list of the ten best revenge novels, Ania Ahlborn's list of ten of the scariest books of all time, Jeff Somers's list of the five worst mothers in literary history, Becky Ferreira's list of six of the most memorable bullies in literature, Julie Buntin's list of favorite literary kids with deadbeat and/or absent dads, Gregg Olsen's top ten list of deadly YA books, and James Dawson's top ten list of books to get you through high school.

--Marshal Zeringue