Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Ten top contemporary war novels

Adrian Bonenberger is a combat veteran who writes essays on military topics. His new memoir is Afghan Post.

At Publishers Weekly Bonenberger shared his list of ten of the best contemporary war novels, including:
Sand Queen by Helen Benedict

The only compelling fictional account I’ve read of a woman in combat, Benedict’s writing is impressive, passionate, and visceral. I never visited Iraq, and I’m not a woman, but I felt like I understood what it was like to experience the trials of a deployment as a female through her main character’s eyes. Reading this book is the best literary path to understanding the particular challenges of being female in the military during warfare.
Read about the other entries on the list.

My Book, The Movie: Sand Queen.

The Page 69 Test: Sand Queen.

--Marshal Zeringue