Friday, July 19, 2013

Eleven books every aspiring television writer should read

At io9 Charlie Jane Anders came up with a list of eleven books that every aspiring television writer should read, including:
Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman

Jose Molina (Firefly, Haven, The Vampire Diaries) recommends this as a great book for screenwriters specifically. "The Goldman book is a brutally honest account of the life of a writer in Hollywood. (It focuses mostly on features, but it's a great primer for anyone who wants to know what it's really like. When I was 21 and first starting out, Michael Piller insisted I read it. The whole time I was reading, I was like "it'll be different for me — I won't have to eat any of this shit." I was 100% wrong." This isn't a writing book per se, but it's an essential book "about the Hollywood culture," Molina adds. "How writers are perceived and treated. It's a book you have to read, simply because you need to be warned what you're getting into. It's the first necessary step in losing the naivete with which so many people approach the industry."
Read about the other books on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue