Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Five modern books with bad-ass fairies

Sylvia Spruck Wrigley is an American/German writer of science fiction, fantasy and aviation non-fiction. Her new novella is Domnall and the Borrowed Child. One entry on her list of five modern books with bad-ass fairies, as shared at Tor.com:
Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan

Marie Brennan is best known for A Natural History of Dragons but I first discovered her when a good friend read my drafts and told me I needed to read Brennan’s faerie world. I have good friends! The faeries in the Onyx Court series aren’t bit characters in a larger plot: they are the story, living their lives while being fully three-dimensional and bad-ass without even trying. No sparkles here! Funnily enough, it was Brennan who made me aware that it was possible to descend into the London sewers as a guest of Thames water, an amazing experience that formed the core of my novel-in-progress (not faeries).

The Onyx Court series takes place beneath London: a subterranean faerie realm full of politics and drama. The series is historical, running from 1499 to 1884. The first novel, Midnight Never Come, connects the dark Faerie court’s Machiavellian scheming to the reign of Queen Elisabeth the Virgin Queen. If you are interested in terrifying and captivating faeries with their own fully thought-out world, then I heavily recommended you start here.
Read about the other entries on the list.

The Page 69 Test: With Fate Conspire.

My Book, The Movie: A Star Shall Fall and With Fate Conspire.

--Marshal Zeringue