Saturday, November 14, 2015

Ten fantasy novels with satisfying depictions of women

At the B & N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog Kate Elliott tagged "ten fantasy novels (and series) whose depiction of women did not make me want to throw the book I was reading against the wall." One title on the list:
Truthwitch, by Susan Dennard

Truthwitch isn’t out yet: It’s coming in January 2016. When I read this first novel of a new epic fantasy YA series, I felt at home at once because it is the book I so desperately wanted to read when I was 16, and it simply did not exist then. Two girls, best friends, get thrown over their heads into adventures and intrigue and politics, and they come up fighting. Even better, they meet other women on their way, competent women, complex women, older women. There are plenty of male characters too, and definitely shipping, and swordplay and magic and grand world-building, and of course I keep coming back to Safiya and Iseult, best friends forever.
Read about the other entries on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue