Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Four books that changed A.S. Patrić

Australian writer AS Patrić is the author of the novels Black Rock White City, for which he won the Miles Franklin award in 2016, and Atlantic Black. His latest book is The Butcherbird Stories. One of four books that changed the author, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND
Fyodor Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky was my Brando. "I am a sick man … I am a wicked man." I heard the opening lines from Notes From Underground in the Apocalypse Now whisper of General Kurtz. Brando didn't seem to be merely playing a half-mad genius; and neither did Dostoevsky. I'd found an author purely driven by truth and reality, no matter the character or story. The Russian master's voice emerged from the pages, raw and manifest – absolutely authentic.
Read about the other books Patrić tagged.

--Marshal Zeringue