Sunday, January 24, 2016

Top ten funny first-person narrators

Lance Rubin is the Brooklyn-based author of the YA novel, Denton Little’s Deathdate.

One of Rubin's top ten books with a funny first-person narrator, as shared at the Guardian:
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

I finally read this last year, and I’m sorry I waited so long. Margaret Simon is such a relatable character - smart, honest, neurotic - and her experience of entering adolescence is as awkward as anybody’s, which is comforting. Not to mention funny. One of my favorite lines is Margaret’s description of her current crush: “It’s not so much that I like him as a person, God, but as a boy he’s very handsome.” A super read for girls and boys alike.
Read about the other entries on the list.

Are you there God? It's me, Margaret is among Jim Smith's top ten funny books for kids and Gabriel Weston's five notable books about the body.

--Marshal Zeringue