Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Twenty books as great today as they were in the 90s

At the Huffington Post, Stephen Graham Jones tagged twenty books as great today as they were in the 90s, including:
Bastard Out of Carolina (1993):

And this book changed me, too. You mean, if I wanted to, I could just write about where I grew up? And I don't have to sell it as exotic or weird, I can just tell it the way it is? For some reason I had never considered that. And, Dorothy Alison has one of the four or five best scenes in all of bookdom in Bastard: her uncle's out there driving the backroads, seeking justice but really it's just a gesture. It's a gesture we all find ourselves making. I would like to erase my mind, please, and read this one all over again for the first time.
Read about the other books on the list.

Bastard Out of Carolina is on Hanna McGrath's list of five favorite child narrators.

--Marshal Zeringue